The Buzz About Draw Something
One app that has generated a lot of buzz recently is Draw Something which combines mobile, social, and gaming. Draw Something is an app created by OMGPOP where people draw people, places, objects, etc. and have friends guess what the drawings are. It’s like a high tech way to play pictionary. The app records your drawing and plays it back to the other user. It’s interesting to see how people come up with a drawing to describe the clue word, but the friend you are playing with will also see all your mess-ups in the playback.
Musicians and other creators have started playing Draw Something and one Musician in particular has already made a lyric video out of the drawings. Check out “Call To Arms” (Draw Something Lyric video) by Isaac Simons below:
Musicians can even connect with Fans by playing a game of Draw Something with them! What’s also interesting (and amazing) is that Draw Something is up to date with pop culture and news, so don’t be surprised if you get some music references. They’ve even added words related to The Hunger Games, of which the movie released just two weeks ago. Words include characters from the novels and movie franchise like Katniss, Haymitch, Peeta, and more as well as words like Tribute and Reaping. It will be interesting to see other words related to pop culture added to Draw Something in the future.
In addition to gaining many users, Draw Something’s popularity caught the attention of Zynga. On March 21, 2012, social game services provider, Zynga acquired OMGPOP for $180 million according to a report from AllThingsD. Zynga owns a bunch of popular games already such as CityVille, FarmVille, Words With Friends, Cafe World, and more. According to the Zynga press release, Draw Something has achieved a multitude of impressive stats:
From the Zynga press release: In the six weeks since Draw Something launched, it has been downloaded over 35 million times. [Update: it has been downloaded 50 million times in the 50 days since its launch!]
Draw Something’s eye-popping stats include:
- In the last week, more than 1 billion drawings have been created.
- Draw Something had three drawings per second the day the game launched.
- Yesterday, Draw Something had over 3,000 drawings per second at its peak.
- Draw Something is the #1 word game in 84 countries according to the Apple App Store – shout out to Sweden and Norway for being the first two countries to recognize Draw Something’s greatness. Nordic Love!
- The most popular words in Draw Something are: Starfish, pregnant, hangman, six pack, boom box
- The least popular word in Draw Something is latrine
- The best guessed words in Draw Something are: Rainbow, catfish, sun, fish, house, god, tornado
- The least guessed words in Draw Something are: Oar, Metroid, Warhol, pounce, polaroid, meathead, Autobots
As the app grows, there will be more updates and features to come. Draw Something is available at the iTunes app store or on the Android market for $1.99, but apparently it is available for 99 cents for a limited time. You can also try out the free version just to check it out and see if you like the game. Personally, I played Draw Something and thought it was pretty fun…until I kept getting the same clue words. I guess that’s what you get with the free version of the game and makes buying the app more valuable.
Are you playing Draw Something and what do you think of the app?